Teaching the Value of Things During the Holiday Hysteria

The winter and its holidays have always been my favorite time of year. The smell of pine and cinnamon. Wood burning in fireplaces, the crisp, chilly air caressing my cheeks and hot chocolate to warm them up. But, most precious of all is spending time with friends and family, making treasured memories out of which flourish stories that will be told with giant belly laughs for years to come. All of it fills my soul up to the brim with happiness and now that our daughter is here, our proverbial cup runneth over with joy!


That being said, let me share with you a conversation that my husband and I had last week:

Me: Are we bad parents for not buying Vivi any presents?
Hubby: No.
Me: (trying to justify) I mean, my mom is bringing a suitcase full of presents with her from Louisiana and then there are the 3 presents she already shipped which are under the bed waiting to be wrapped.
Hubby: That's more than enough.
Me: That's what I thought.

I was raised in a lower middle class family by my hard working single mother and my grandmother. Don't worry, this is not the beginning of any sort of sob story. I was always showered with love and never wanted for anything. Our Christmas tree was always packed with gifts, but my mom also made sure to instill in me the value of things. I only hope I can give that gift to my daughter.

Classic Toddler w/ Santa pic! Ha!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...