[Food Series] How NOT to make Turkish Meat Pie (Kıymalı Börek)

So I have been trying for the last few weeks to get a family recipe from our cousin for Kıymalı Börek, otherwise known as Turkish Meat Pie. He is, understandably preoccupied with the imminent arrival of their first child, so I emailed his wife. I knew they each have their own recipe. One is a variation of my mother-in-law's and the other is a quicker stove top version preferred by my almost 9-month-pregnant cousin-in-law.


Mistake #1: I allowed my "chef" ego to reassure me that I could simply adapt the stove top recipe to the oven. Easy Peasy! Not.

Mistake #2: I forgot to buy eggs. Brain Fart.

Mistake #3: I haphazardly plopped down the yogurt mixture instead of separating the layers of phyllo and carefully brushing the mixture through all of the layers. Doofus.

Mistake #4: I didn't consider the size of the pan I would be using, so the amount of ground beef filling that I had on hand to spread throughout was very sparse. Seriously.

Mistake #5: I decided, above all, to make this, for the first time, on an evening when we had to get out of the house by 6:30 pm to make it to a summer concert. Really. REALLY? Yes. Really.

The good news is: It was edible!

The good(er) news is: I will try it again, learning from my silly mistakes and I'll share it with you all then!

4 comments:

  1. Please do figure this out!! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only was it edible, but it was actually delicious. May be it was not kıymalı börek, but it was still a delish dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd totally eat that! It's looks delicious to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That actually looks real good! I have often improvised when i was overwhelmed with silly kitchen mishaps! Found you in Triberr Erinn http://www.3sonshavei.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...