[Food Series] Roasted Broccoli and Pancetta Quiche

Quiche is one of our family's favorite dishes anytime of the day, any day of the week and any week of the year! It's also one of my favorite Cook-Ahead Camping Meals to prepare. My base recipe for the custard is my mom's and then I usually improvise with the veggie, cheese and meat elements depending on what's in the fridge on that particular day! Today I just so happened to have a head of broccoli and pancetta calling out to me, so it was quiche time! Enjoy!!


Ingredients:
1 head of Broccoli (about 2 cups chopped)
1 cup of chopped Pancetta
1 cup of chopped Crimini Mushrooms
1 chopped Shallot (about 2 tablespoons)
1/2 teaspoon of Ground Mustard
4 Eggs
1 1/2 cup of Whole Milk
1/2 cup grated Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup grated Asiago Cheese
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
1 Pie Crust

My quiche crust is quick and easy: 1 box of Trader Joe's Frozen Gourmet Pie Crust. I just set it on my stove a few hours prior to let it defrost, then roll it out and drape it into the 9 inch pie pan. This crust calls for a par bake of about 10 minutes, so just follow the instructions on the box! While the crust is partially baking, roughly chop the shallots, mushrooms and broccoli (I buy the already chopped pancetta at Trader Joe's). Since the oven was already on, I decided to roast the broccoli to accentuate its flavor, so I tossed it lightly in olive oil, sprinkled with salt and threw it in the oven with the pie crust. While the oven is going, saute your pancetta, shallot and mushrooms. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, ground mustard, milk, salt and pepper. When everything on top of and in the stove is done, take it out and allow it all to cool. While everything is cooling down grate your cheese. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes for your pie crust to cool, then evenly spread your roasted broccoli, pancetta, mushrooms and shallots into the crust and carefully pour the custard mixture over the top. I usually place the pie pan on top of my large sheet pan and make sure not to fill the crust up completely with the custard! I leave about a quarter of an inch to the top of the sides of the crust because the quiche will puff up and will overflow!! Bake at 375 degrees for about 50 minutes. Take it out and allow it to cool for another 20 minutes, slice and enjoy!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...